Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Weed and Read

During the school year I do a lot of reading to the kids while they fold the clean clothes. It seems our laundry piles are never ending and humongous. (My mother will tell you I am not exaggerating! It seems whenever she comes to visit she ends up helping me catch up with folding all the baskets of clean laundry) But this summer we are doing a new reading activity for a change of pace- I call it READ and WEED. I sit and read in a little chair while the kids weed the vegetable garden. I think it holds great promise because when I said we should go in because it was getting rather hot, they were begging- "No, no, read some more!" Which of course means, "we'll weed some more too!". Amazing! My friend Lani has been having success with this at her house too.
Kitty came out to enjoy read and weed too. Did I mention that she has disappeared? We miss her so much. This picture was taken the last day we saw her. I'm wondering if one of the many hawks or other predatory birds that circle above us during the day, found a little morsel.

Oh, and we dissected fish last week. Good thing we had warm weather so we could go outside. Those things were very aromatic! Even Lani got into the dissecting this time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand your laundry woes. Laundry is a daily activity for our family. I do at least two loads a day. At least! Even now, living in a hotel :(, I do laundry down the hall each day! If I don't the piles get to be too much! But I enjoy folding laundry. I like that I fold it right, the boys don't and everything gets all wrinkly. I've tried to teach them my ways, but no luck!

Unknown said...

I totally understand your laundry woes. Laundry is a daily activity for our family. I do at least two loads a day. At least! Even now, living in a hotel :(, I do laundry down the hall each day! If I don't the piles get to be too much! But I enjoy folding laundry. I like that I fold it right, the boys don't and everything gets all wrinkly. I've tried to teach them my ways, but no luck!