Monday, April 6, 2009

Starlight is gone....


"Mama Cat" as Joel always called her, has gone missing. She was our family's first real pet. We couldn't have asked for a sweeter, quieter, more well-mannered cat. (A well-mannered cat in my opinion, is one that doesn't ever climb screens, or claw little kids, or wake you up at night.) Starlight would trot faithfully behind Heidi and Reagan as they explored the hillsides around here or lay in the raspberry beds among the mint plants to keep me company while I weeded. She would let Heidi tote her around in the most awkward position- feet straight up in the air, without protest. But besides all that wonderfullness, Starlight was beautiful. Look at those blue eyes.
She had 3 baby kittens, not quite 2 weeks old, who were waiting in the window well for her return. But it's been 2 days now. I cried last night realizing how much I will miss her and wondering if we'll ever have a cat as perfect as her again. I also worried what would happen to her babies because they were not responding well to bottle feeding. Heather, a friend of mine, has a cat that is a first time mother to six kittens. Lani brought my 3 hungry mewing kittens over to Heather's today and they put them all together while the mama cat wasn't looking. She accepted them!! I am so happy! Starving kittens, on top of the loss of our favorite cat ever, was not a pleasant picture. Thanks Heather, for being willing to let your cat mother 9 kittens! Your mama cat's a real "woman". :-)

6 comments:

Pony Girl said...

She is a beautiful cat! I had two Siamese cats growing up, one with long hair, and her son, who was short haired. I want to get another one someday. I am SO glad that other mother took in the orphans! Nature is amazing that way sometimes.
I love your header....looks so beautiful where you live! I want to go to Idaho, I have never been, and it's not far from me!

HeatherS said...

Things are great with the kitties this a.m. When I checked on them they were all snuggling in a little ball. Last night was quite the feeding frenzy--it reminded me of the first time I went to the Golden Corral restaurant--everyone elbowing each other to get to the front of the line!

mitzi said...

I'm so sorry about Starlight...

K. Lou said...

I'm so sorry she's gone. What a sad time. Glad the babies won't starve. Hope everyone will be okay with the loss.

Its just me said...

Oh Sariah, we are all so sorry for your familys loss. We too have a cat that is treasured. She is my right hand mama!!! She tails the kids areond the property better then I ever could...lol. She is truly the Lassie in the cat world. If anything should happen to her, I just know she couldnt be replaced. We feel your loss and pray that the Lord provides another family friend soon. :0)

Kimberly said...

Oh it's hard to lose a pet. Only those who have loved a pet can understand. I'm glad the animal world understands adoption.