Sunday, April 12, 2009

A little mixed up...

I drive a burgundy red Yukon XL. It's not the most unique vehicle in town by any means, but I do see a lot less "twins" of ourselves driving around than I did when we had a white suburban for our family vehicle. (I sure miss that suburban by the way, it seated 9! and was paid for! - can you ask for anything better? But then the engine went out....stink.)
So anyways, the other day I'm at Costco with Hailey and we come out of the store with a big cart of stuff and go over to our burgundy Yukon and open up the back to start unloading.

Weird. There's a blanket I don't recognize spread in the back with a couple toolboxes set on top.

"Why is this blanket in here?" Hailey asks.

"Ummm....maybe Dad put it in here since we just cleaned and vacuumed the car and he doesn't want to mess it up again", I reply. "But where did he find that blanket? I've never seen it before," I ponder out loud.

Then I start looking closer at the toolboxes and dig around in the small cardboard box full of miscellaneous hand tools that's back there and come to the conclusion that Joel must be bringing all this stuff to my parent's house this weekend. We're always doing some kind of project on their farm and toting tools back and forth.

Okey-dokey, better quit messing around and start unloading the groceries.

At this point, I'm turning to get the stuff out of the cart and something catches my eye. It's a person and they are sitting in the driver's seat watching me in the rear view mirror. Oh my. Suddenly everything starts to make sense. *Deep Blush* Luckily, he's a nice old gentleman and thought the whole scenario was quite entertaining. He was waiting for his wife and had seen our car drive into the parking lot earlier and thought, - my car has a twin. So when Hailey and I came out of Costco and started unloading into his car he knew why. I couldn't stop laughing and apologizing-- how many groceries would he have let me unload before he spoke up? Sheesh. How embarrassing. But I'm glad he got a good laugh out of it too.

9 comments:

K. Lou said...

Oh my heck! that is funny and embarrassing! That would have freaked my out to see someone in the driver's seat. I'm surprised he didn't holler when you started going through the tools. Yikes. That is funny!

Ammanda said...

Thank you - I really needed a good laugh! - You even got Chop to crack a smile. :)

EllaJac said...

Oh Sariah, that's too funny!! Now I doubt I'd ever have THAT problem, considering the unique, uh, "piles" of personal property my kids tend to bring along on every 3-minute road trip. Hehe!

Emily Hancock said...

Sariah! I too needed a good laugh and this was the perfact fix! I can picture it all so perfectly in my mind and that makes me laugh even harder! I can just imagine that litlle old man cracking up inside watching you in the rearview mirror. Don't you just love good natured people like that!

The Mayo Family said...

Oh Sariah that is too funny! I think I'm blushing for you!

Its just me said...

I am laughing out loud!!! Love it!

HeatherS said...

OK Sariah. First the gas station incident. Then the choke cherry juice. Now this. I'm beginning to worry :)

MamaJ said...

That's hysterical! Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

You know its been years (decades, yikes) since we've last seen each other... and oddly, I can still picture you in my mind doing something like this. My mom used to worry about you when we were in high school... she would say "She's soooo smart but sometimes I wonder??" Hopefully you don't take that offensively...it was said in a really cute way! You were always so ummmm... cute in your ways. I miss you!