Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What a day!

Did I ever tell you about Aug 13? The day we were packing up to camp at our big Hatch family reunion in Utah? The day I had a fever, sore throat, there was no water in the house, the neighbor girl put Leif's diaper on for me and it ended up being on sideways, but I didn't notice because since I didn't feel real well I had decided to take a small nap, and then Leif had a blow out, luckily only on linoleum surfaces- which he made sure included surfaces of the kitchen, dining room, AND pantry. Yes, that was quite a day. Joel and I ran him to the tub, because of course, by this time it was even on his head (Leif's personal record for a blowout), only to find that there was NO water coming out of the faucet. Luckily we remembered there is a river water spigot in the back yard, so I cleaned him up out in the grass while Joel jumped on the motorcycle to go off in pursuit of a fix for the well. With Joel gone, I decided to forgo the nap and continue working on packing tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses, jackets, swimming suits, clothes, and oh you know- the ten million things it seems you need for one weekend of camping. All was quiet as I packed and I thought to myself, "Self, why are you getting so much accomplished?? Oooh- Leif!! Where is the baby?" Well, he was found eating stash of Dove chocolates I keep under my side of the bed. By this time I was laughing helplessly because it was his messiest day ever and we still had no running water. A quick run back to the river water spigot then back to packing. Our house by this time was almost 90 degrees because I hadn't turned on the AC that day because I had expected us to be done with packing and gone before it got that hot. But getting sick that morning had slowed me down and so now we were packing in a raging hot house. Oh, it was a lovely, lovely day that I won't soon forget. I won't get into the details of that night and how I finally had Leif sleep in the bathtub at grandma's house-- don't worry, I made it very comfortable for him. But anyhoo, thanks for reading, and I hope you have yourself a good healthy day with plenty of clean running water.

p.s. 6 days later, after having a fever and sore throat for what seemed like eons, I went to the doctor and found out I had strep throat. So I am apologizing to the entire Hatch family for sharing more than just weekend memories. I hope none of you contracted any of my germs.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I was so happy to read that was chocolate on his face! The picture is at the top and then the story starts out with a poo blow out, and you said it was even on his head!! I didn't think you would stop to take a picture if he was eating it. . .so gross!! I am so glad you are clean and well again!

sariah said...

Oh gross. I didn't even think about the story implying that the picture was poo. Ick!! I will change this post around a little bit... thanks Mandy! :-)