Monday, March 23, 2009

"March bustles in on windy feet
And sweeps my doorstep and my street.
She washes and cleans with pounding rains,
Scrubbing the earth of winter stains.
She shakes the grime from carpet green
Till naught but fresh new blades are seen.
Then, house in order, all neat as a pin,
She ushers gentle springtime in."
- Susan Reiner, Spring Cleaning

Maybe if I look at this horrible wind we are having as "spring cleaning", I can keep my spirits on the positive side. The wind was so loud last night that some of the kids and I had a hard time sleeping. We were worried about Bill (the rooster) sleeping in his precarious perch in the pine tree. Bill's bough was seeing a lot of action and I wouldn't be suprised if he's feeling a bit seasick this morning. When I got up to eat breakfast, I realized the wind blew the roof right off the rabbit hutch during the night, taking the hinges with it. Hmmm... with great access like that I guess I have no excuse for not thoroughly cleaning out their hutch!

While I try to patiently wait for "gentle springtime" to return, I am watching my babies grow. Aren't these little foxglove so cute?

Here is my kids favorite tomato- a russian yellow cherry variety that I've grown for the last 10 years.

2 comments:

K. Lou said...

Oh man--I can smell that fresh garden dirt smell just looking at your pics. I am so excited for our garden this year! Hope the rooster survived the stormy weather.

Ammanda said...

All those little seedlings are exciting aren't they? - We've got things popping up in our garden too. Yeah!
As for the wind...at least you can mark "listen to the wind blow" off of your "to do" list. ;)